Bailey Glasser represents the complete range of parties in complex business restructurings, reorganizations, and bankruptcies. Whether working for debtors, banks and other secured creditors, creditors’ committees and unsecured creditors, equity holders, regulatory agencies, or buyers, we offer superior strategic and pragmatic advice in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, workouts, and liquidations.
We also represent both plaintiffs (including liquidating and litigation trustees), and defendants in the entire breadth of bankruptcy litigation, including preferences and fraudulent transfer actions. Clients trust our highly talented and experienced bankruptcy, corporate, and trial lawyers, particularly in the most complex and contentious matters.
The firm’s signature work over the past few years has involved its highly successful representation of the State of West Virginia in the wave of major coal company bankruptcies as the entire coal industry undergoes a tectonic shift. Bailey Glasser’s work for the state has involved groundbreaking litigation regarding the treatment of environmental claims in bankruptcy, the role of state regulation in bankruptcy cases, and state sovereign immunity. This work also highlighted the firm’s aggressive approach coupled with the ability to develop and negotiate complex agreements resolving those issues. And it has brought wide-ranging national recognition of and respect for the firm’s bankruptcy abilities and practice from the coal industry, national law firms, and media alike.
With lawyers having a background in representing debtors in some of the largest Chapter 11 cases in the country and the necessary corporate law experience, the firm has successfully confirmed Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases of small and medium-sized companies.
Bailey Glasser has also represented banks and hedge funds as secured creditors in workouts and Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, and represented buyers in acquiring assets out of Chapter 11 reorganizations and liquidations, both large and small.
The firm has successfully prosecuted major fraudulent transfer and other litigation on behalf of the liquidating trustees appointed in large bankruptcy cases. Likewise, we have defended against avoidance and turnover actions liquidating trustees brought against the firm’s clients.
Recently, the firm has begun to represent unsecured creditors’ committees in small and medium-sized bankruptcy cases.
Bailey Glasser lawyers have been admitted and practiced in bankruptcy courts literally from coast to coast and from north to south.
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel
- Represented the State of West Virginia in all the major coal company bankruptcy cases throughout the country since 2012, including Patriot Coal and Alpha Natural Resources that resulted in nearly $400 million in funding for environmental reclamation in West Virginia
- Represented the Liquidating Trustee of the Yellowstone Mountain Club in the District of Montana and throughout the country in obtaining and enforcing $520 million in judgments, including a $386 million fraudulent transfer judgment, against the club’s founder and others
- Represented Riverstone Credit Partners in the Blackjewel Chapter 11 case in the Southern District of West Virginia
- Represent the Creditors Committee in the Timberline Four Seasons Resort Chapter 11 cases in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Represented United Bank in the Civilian Conservation Corp case in the Southern District of West Virginia
- Represented Premier Bank in the Emerald Grande and Corwin Place bankruptcy cases in the Northern District of West Virginia
- Represented the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection in the out-of-court restructurings of Alpha Natural Resources and Contura Energy
- Represent the West Virginia State Tax Department in defending against $5 million refund claims arising out of the Patriot Coal bankruptcy cases in the Eastern Districts of Missouri and Virginia
- Represented Royal Automotive Company in its successful sale of its dealership on the forty-third day of its Chapter 11 cases
- Represented the Cline Group in its acquisition of assets out of the Enron bankruptcy case in the Southern District of New York
- Represented the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection in the Freedom Industries bankruptcy case in the Southern District of West Virginia
- Represented the West Virginia Offices of the Insurance Commissioner in the WP Steel and Patriot Coal bankruptcy cases
- Represented the West Virginia State Tax Department in groundbreaking litigation to recover sales taxes from two money center banks
- Represented the liquidating trustee of Refco in litigation against a major New York law firm
- Defended two major hedge funds in an arbitration with Bank of America arising out of a debt restructuring of a major home builder
News & Insights
- Kevin Barrett Quoted in New York Times Article - Why Companies Like Toys ‘R’ Us Love to Go Bust in Richmond, VA11.16.2017
- Patriot Bankruptcy Plan ‘Destined to Fail,’ Bailey Glasser Attorneys Argue on Behalf of West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection09.11.2015
- Bankruptcy Court Issues Important Environmental Enforcement Decision in Awarding $2.7 Million to West Virginia DEP11.20.2014
- Yellowstone Club Trustee Offers Bounty To Find Blixseth's Missing Millions (Brian Glasser featured in Forbes Magazine)08.20.2014
Bailey Glasser lawyers served as Special Assistant Attorneys General in the Alpha Natural Resources bankruptcy cases in the Eastern District of Virginia.