Michael Murphy has extensive experience in state and federal class action litigation, complex commercial litigation, qui tam and false claims matters, parens patriae litigation, antitrust litigation, First Amendment matters, and bankruptcy cases.
Over nearly two decades, Mike has been involved in countless litigation matters ranging from multi-district litigation involving Fortune 100 corporations to commercial disputes between small companies. These proceedings have involved consumer data breach, antitrust, and products liability matters.
He has worked with public companies to develop antitrust compliance programs and codes of conduct to comply with the DOJ Antitrust Division’s guidance.
Mike has also participated in a number of bankruptcy proceedings ranging from the Blixseth v. Yellowstone Club Liquidating Trust to assisting individuals with bankruptcy proceedings through the DC Bar’s pro bono Bankruptcy Clinic.
Awards & Accolades
Chambers USA, District of Columbia; Litigation: Mainly Plaintiffs (2022)
Government Service / Previous Employment
- Judicial Extern, Hon. Paul L. Friedman, US District Court for the District of Columbia (2001 - 2002)
- Research Analyst; Staff Director, International Brotherhood of Teamsters (1993 - 1999)
J.D., The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law, 2002, cum laude, Law Review, Winner – John H. Fanning Labor Law Writing Competition
M.S., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1993
B.S., California State University-Fresno, 1991
- District of Columbia
- New York
- West Virginia
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, Western District of Michigan
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- US District Court, Western District of Washington
- US District Court, Northern District of West Virginia
- US District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
Obtained, as co-trial counsel, a verdict on behalf of Ramaco Resources Inc. of approximately $32.7 million against Chubb related insurance companies for breach of contract in a denial of insurance coverage case. The trial court subsequently reduced the verdict. The matter will be appealed.
- Serves on the plaintiffs’ discovery committee in In re Blue Cross Blue Shield Antitrust Litigation, a multi-district litigation matter alleging nationwide market allocation and price-fixing antitrust violations by the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and its members throughout the United States; currently pending before the US District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- Serves on the management committee for a consortium of law firms representing a number of Governors, State Attorneys General, and Underground Storage Tank Funds in ongoing investigations, mediations, and litigations against the major oil companies in efforts to recoup improper overpayments obtained by the oil companies; through these efforts return more than $100 million to the various states
- Served as pro bono counsel for the Two Rivers Public Charter School after it was targeted by protesters upset the school happened to be located next door to a Planned Parenthood facility that was under construction; defeated the multiple defendants’ motions to dismiss as well as their Anti-SLAPP motions; currently on appeal and pending before the District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- Represented individual and institutional investors related to auction rate securities and other investment vehicles as a member of PIABA
- Represented the BSA | The Software Alliance, an association of leading software manufacturers including Apple, Adobe Systems, and Microsoft, in investigating and prosecuting software piracy and copyright infringement matters
News & Insights
News & Insights
- Virginia Joining California With Adoption of Broad Data Privacy Protections: Controllers’ Obligations Under Virginia’s New Data Privacy Law03.04.2021
- Virginia Joining California With Adoption Of Broad Data Privacy Protections: Consumers’ Rights Under Virginia’s New Data Privacy Law03.02.2021
- The Small Business Administration Issues Guidance on Change of Ownership of Entities with Outstanding PPP Loans10.09.2020
- The District of Columbia’s School Safety Omnibus Amendment Act of 2018: Public and Private Schools’ Obligations to Implement Policies for Handling Reports of Sexual Abuse and Bullying08.11.2020
- PPP Loan Recipients: It Is Critical to Ensure Your Publicly-Available Data Is Accurate and That You Are Prepared to Respond to Government Investigations08.03.2020
Community & Professional
Community and Professional Activities
American Association for Justice
Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association