"Jonathan is an excellent person to have on your team. His work ethic is unmatched and his knowledge of the issues is always complete. All of this is great and necessary in a good lawyer, but where Jonathan separates himself from many others is in his service to his clients. He makes me feel as if I am his only client. He is immediate in responding to every request I make and always beats the deadlines, with his No. 1 goal always being taking total care of his client. He takes care of almost all of our company's corporate work, is so easy to work with, always LISTENS to my comments and then works with me to figure out what is best for me. Top notch."
Jonathan Deem skillfully manages mergers and acquisitions, commercial real estate transactions, commercial litigation, financial services, corporate finance, and entrepreneurial transactions. He represents clients in the natural resources, technology, real estate, and financial services industries.
Jonathan’s clients praise him for his practical legal advice, efficiency, and hard work.
Government Service / Previous Employment
- Interim Chief of Staff/Senior Advisor, Senator Joe Manchin, III (2010 - 2011)
- General Counsel, Office of Governor Joe Manchin, III, West Virginia (2009 - 2010)
- Deputy General Counsel, Office of Governor Joe Manchin, III, West Virginia (2007 - 2009)
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law, 2006, Order of the Coif, Law Review, Judicial Board
B.S., West Virginia University, 2001
- District of Columbia
- West Virginia
- US District Court, Northern District of West Virginia
- US District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Special Advisor to Governor Jim Justice (West Virginia) on CARES Act/COVID-19
- Outside General Counsel for Mountaineer Holding, LLC, a medical cannabis startup
- Represented the founders of Foresight Energy, LP in an out-of-court restructuring of over $1 billion in debt
- Counsel to the Cline Group, a group of energy and natural resources companies, founded by legendary businessman Chris Cline
- Represented Water Street Investors in a foreclosure and fraudulent transfer action that arose from the financing of a luxury condominium development in Charlottesville, Virginia
- Represented Federal City Property Investors in connection with a large multi-family residential real estate development in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
- US counsel to Canadian software company, Resolver, Inc.
- Counsel to Fife Street Fund, the first “Qualified Opportunity Zone Fund” formed to invest in real estate development projects in West Virginia
- Outside General Counsel for the “Southern-Dickinson” land companies
- Outside General Counsel for Langdell Investments, a Silicon Valley private equity investment fund
- Counseled clients in M&A transactions in the energy and natural resources, insurance, financial services, health care, communications, real estate, manufacturing, retail and automotive industries
News & Insights
News & Insights
- Virginia Joining California With Adoption of Broad Data Privacy Protections: Controllers’ Obligations Under Virginia’s New Data Privacy Law03.04.2021
- Virginia Joining California With Adoption Of Broad Data Privacy Protections: Consumers’ Rights Under Virginia’s New Data Privacy Law03.02.2021
Panelist, "Business Formation: Start-to-Finish, National Business Institute Seminar," New Castle, Delaware, December 2018
Panelist, "Cybersecurity in Banking: Threats, Risks and Regulations," West Virginia Bankers Association Annual Convention, White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, August 2018
Community & Professional
Community and Professional Activities
DC Chapter of the Alliance of Mergers and Acquisitions Professionals
Leadership Montgomery CORE Class of 2020
Volunteer Director, Open Arms Housing
Director, Fusebill, Inc.