Cary Joshi relentlessly advocates for her clients and strategically focuses on obtaining the best result for each client’s unique circumstances. She has extensive experience in commercial and civil litigation in a wide variety of construction disputes, complex commercial cases, mass torts, and product liability litigation. Cary is comfortable in front of any legal tribunal, be it a jury, bench trial, arbitration panel, or mediator.
Cary leads Bailey Glasser’s Commercial & Environmental Litigation Practice Group, and also focuses on the successful development of junior lawyers at the firm. Cary prides herself on providing exceptional client service and instills this high standard in the lawyers she trains and mentors.
Cary first joined Bailey Glasser when she and her family were living in Medellín, Colombia. After three years living abroad, learning Spanish, and practicing with the firm, Cary joined the Washington, D.C. office.
Recent representations include:
Obtained, as trial counsel alongside founding partner Brian Glasser, a $5 million arbitral judgment against Lindell Management LLC by proving to 100% certainty that the data Mr. Lindell claimed to possess showing votes were moved from Mr. Trump to Mr. Biden was not 2020 election data, at all. The decision can be viewed here.
- Cary has teamed up with Arthur Bryant from Bailey Glasser’s Oakland, California office to represent NCAA athletes in protecting their Title IX rights. Arthur, Cary, and the Title IX team currently represent athletes from college sports teams across the country whose teams have been eliminated or who are not being treated equally in violation of the requirements of the law. As a former NCAA Division I soccer player, Cary understands the importance and benefits of the opportunity for women to participate in intercollegiate athletics.
- Cary was part of the team that challenged Johnson & Johnson’s highly publicized “Texas Two-Step” attempt to circumvent the jury system by filing for bankruptcy related to its potential liability for injuries resulting from its sale of talc products. For more please visit here.
- Cary represents the owner in a major multi-million-dollar construction litigation involving a decades-long public highway project that is currently stalled as the result of structural issues with a bridge connecting the roadway. Cary and her team are focused on efficiently and effectively litigating the issues to get the project moving forward for her client and the public.
- In 2020, Cary won a $4.2 million jury verdict in Maryland federal court on behalf of a major automotive retailer in an insurance coverage dispute. The insurance company denied Cary’s client a defense in an underlying case and, after a multi-day trial, the jury awarded the entire amount requested. The Court of Appeals denied the insurance company’s appeal and the client collected their award.
- Cary also recently won a $10 million arbitration award before a three-member AAA Construction panel in a dispute related to the installation of Google Fiber in the Southeast United States. Cary’s client, a telecommunications utility contractor, won on claims for breach of contract and misrepresentation against BECHTEL Corporation, the general contractor.
- Beginning in 2016, Cary led the litigation team that represented more than 120 plaintiffs who were victims of a residential natural gas explosion in Silver Spring, Maryland. Following a years-long NTSB investigation into the cause of the explosion and further litigation against the gas provider and apartment management company, the parties reached a final settlement in 2020.
Cary is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and her work includes being a member of the Women’s Bar Association of D.C. and the South Asian Bar Association of D.C., and she was named as a 2022 Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Fellow. She also helps lead Bailey Glasser’s Women@BG affinity group and is a member of the firm’s Diversity Committee.
Awards & Accolades
Best Lawyers in America, Civil Rights Law, Washington, D.C. (2023-2024)
Government Service / Previous Employment
- Vice President – National Development, Teach For America (2005 - 2007)
- Public Interest Fellow, Community Legal Services, Philadelphia, PA (2002-2003)
- Teacher and Corps Member, Phoenix, AZ, Teach For America (1997 - 1999)
J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 2002 / Moot Court Board; Editor - Employment Law Journal;
Legal Writing Instructor
B.A., Yale University, 1997
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
News & Insights
News & Insights
- Federal Appeals Court Vacates District Court Decision in Fresno State Title IX Case, Opens Door for All-Female-Student-Athlete Class Action01.17.2024
- Federal Court Holds All Plaintiffs in Precedent-Setting Title IX Case Can Sue San Diego State University for Retaliation10.11.2023
- Florida State University Agrees to Add Women's Lacrosse Team, Develop Gender Equity Plan, and Comply With Title IX10.03.2023
- Title IX Sex Discrimination Case Against SDSU Moves Forward Again: Court Holds All Women Athletes Can Sue For Damages, Future Discrimination Can Be Barred09.18.2023
- 42 Bailey Glasser Lawyers Named To The Best Lawyers in America & Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch 2024 Guides08.17.2023
- 18 Public Interest Groups File Brief in Federal Appeal Supporting Title IX Challenge to Fresno State07.25.2023
- Bailey Glasser Awarded Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2023 and Achieves Nationwide Rankings in ERISA and Product Liability Litigation06.15.2023
- Bailey Glasser Team Led By Brian Glasser Helps Dismiss Improperly Filed Mass Tort Bankruptcy By 3M Subsidiary Aearo Technologies06.12.2023
- Bailey Glasser Files to Confirm Collection Rights on $5 Million Judgment Against MyPillow's Mike Lindell05.19.2023
- Title IX Sex Discrimination Case Against SDSU Moving Forward on All Counts: Equal Athletic Financial Aid, Retaliation, and Equal Treatment04.13.2023
- Federal Appeals Court Rejects J&J Texas Two-Step Maneuver In Huge Victory For Plaintiffs Harmed By J&J Baby Powder01.30.2023
- Female Student-Athletes File Title IX Sex Discrimination Class Action Against University of Central Oklahoma for Equal Treatment and Retaliation09.20.2022
- Female Athletes Add Unequal Treatment, Retaliation Claims to Title IX Sex Discrimination Class Action Against San Diego State University04.21.2022
- Dickinson College Reinstates Men’s Squash Team Four Months After Reinstating Women’s Squash Team to Avoid Title IX Lawsuit02.10.2022
- Female Athletes File Title IX Sex Discrimination Class Action Against San Diego State University for Depriving Women of Equal Athletic Financial Aid02.07.2022
- Dickinson College Agrees to Reinstate Women’s Squash Team, Stop Discriminating Against Female Student-Athletes, and Comply with Title IX10.06.2021
- La Salle University Agrees to Provide Female Student-Athletes with Equal Treatment, Come Into Compliance with Title IX, and Add as Many Women's Teams As That Takes06.29.2021
- University of St. Thomas in Minnesota Agrees to Reinstate Women’s Tennis Team, Develop Gender Equity Plan, and Comply with Title IX06.17.2021
- Male & Female Student-Athletes Win Historic Title IX Sex Discrimination Settlements with Clemson University04.22.2021
- Women’s Lacrosse Players File Sex Discrimination Class Action Against Fresno State for Eliminating Team and Violating Title IX02.12.2021
- Dartmouth College Agrees to Reinstate Women’s Golf, Swimming & Diving; Develop Gender Equity Plan; and Comply with Title IX01.29.2021
- East Carolina University Agrees to Reinstate Women’s Swimming, Diving & Tennis; Develop Gender Equity Plan; and Comply with Title IX01.07.2021
- University of North Carolina at Pembroke Reinstates Women’s Golf, Will Comply with Title IX to Avoid Sex Discrimination Class Action Suit12.21.2020
- William & Mary University Agrees to Reinstate Women’s Gymnastics, Swimming and Volleyball; Comply Fully with Title IX in Two Years to Avoid Suit10.19.2020
- Bailey Glasser fighting for justice for the victims of the Flower Branch gas explosion tragedy in Silver Spring, MD11.20.2018
Community & Professional
Community and Professional Activities
Women's Bar Association of the District of Columbia
South Asian Bar Association of Washington, DC