Cary Joshi relentlessly advocates for her clients, always focusing on finding the best result for each client’s unique circumstances. She has extensive experience in commercial and civil litigation in a wide variety of construction disputes, complex commercial cases, mass torts, and product liability litigation. Cary is equally comfortable in front of a jury, arbitration panel or mediator and prides herself on providing excellent client service.
Cary first joined Bailey Glasser while living in Medellin, Colombia. After three years living abroad, learning Spanish and practicing with the firm, Cary joined the Washington, DC office. She now leads the Commercial & Environmental Litigation Practice Group and focuses on the development of new attorneys at the firm.
Most recently, Cary has teamed up with Arthur Bryant from Bailey Glasser’s Oakland, California office to represent NCAA women athletes to protect the rights conferred on them by Title IX. She and Arthur currently represent athletes from college sports teams across the country whose teams have been eliminated in violation of the requirements of the law. As a former NCAA Division I soccer player, Cary understands the importance and benefits of the opportunity for women to participate in intercollegiate athletics.
In the past year, Cary won a $4.2 million jury verdict in Maryland federal court on behalf of a major automotive retailer in an insurance coverage dispute. The insurance company denied Cary’s client a defense in an underlying case and, after a multi-day trial, the jury awarded the entire amount requested. The Court of Appeals denied the insurance company’s appeal and the client collected their award.
Cary also won a $10 million arbitration award before a three-member AAA Construction panel in a dispute related to the installation of Google Fiber in the Southeast United States. Cary’s client, a telecommunications utility contractor, won on claims for breach of contract and misrepresentation against BECHTEL Corporation, the general contractor.
Beginning in 2016, Cary led the litigation team that represented more than 120 plaintiffs who were victims of a residential natural gas explosion in Silver Spring, Maryland. Following a years-long NTSB investigation into the cause of the explosion and further litigation against the gas provider and apartment management company, the parties reached a final settlement in 2020.
Prior to attending law school, Cary taught elementary school in Phoenix, Arizona as part of Teach For America.
Government Service / Previous Employment
- Vice President – National Development, Teach For America (2005 - 2007)
- Public Interest Fellow, Community Legal Services, Philadelphia, PA (2002-2003)
- Teacher and Corps Member, Phoenix, AZ, Teach For America (1997 - 1999)
J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 2002, Moot Court Board
Editor - Employment Law Journal
Legal Writing Instructor
B.A., Yale University, 1997
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- US District Court, District of New Jersey
- US District Court, District of Maryland
News & Insights
News & Insights
- La Salle University Agrees to Provide Female Student-Athletes with Equal Treatment, Come Into Compliance with Title IX, and Add as Many Women's Teams As That Takes06.29.2021
- University of St. Thomas in Minnesota Agrees to Reinstate Women’s Tennis Team, Develop Gender Equity Plan, and Comply with Title IX06.17.2021
- Male & Female Student-Athletes Win Historic Title IX Sex Discrimination Settlements with Clemson University04.22.2021
- Women’s Lacrosse Players File Sex Discrimination Class Action Against Fresno State for Eliminating Team and Violating Title IX02.12.2021
- Dartmouth College Agrees to Reinstate Women’s Golf, Swimming & Diving; Develop Gender Equity Plan; and Comply with Title IX01.29.2021
- East Carolina University Agrees to Reinstate Women’s Swimming, Diving & Tennis; Develop Gender Equity Plan; and Comply with Title IX01.07.2021
- University of North Carolina at Pembroke Reinstates Women’s Golf, Will Comply with Title IX to Avoid Sex Discrimination Class Action Suit12.21.2020
- William & Mary University Agrees to Reinstate Women’s Gymnastics, Swimming and Volleyball; Comply Fully with Title IX in Two Years to Avoid Suit10.19.2020
- Bailey Glasser fighting for justice for the victims of the Flower Branch gas explosion tragedy in Silver Spring, MD11.20.2018
Community & Professional
Community and Professional Activities
Women's Bar Association of the District of Columbia
South Asian Bar Association of Washington, DC