Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Volkswagen Group of America
Bailey Glasser, Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro and the Law Office of Peter Fredman filed the lawsuit on behalf of 22 class representatives
The Washington, D.C. office of Bailey Glasser along with Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP and the Law Office of Peter Fredman filed a class action lawsuit against Volkswagen Group of America on behalf class representatives in 22 states. The lawsuit, filed in the Eastern District of Virginia, alleges that Volkswagen deceived customers by using a software that allows its ‘Clean Diesel’ vehicles to emit pollutants more than 40 times greater than the Clean Air Act allows.
On September 18th, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency issued a notice of violation of the Clean Air Act to Volkswagen for using this software program to switch engines to a cleaner mode only during official emissions testing. When the cars are being used during normal driving situations, the controls are turned off, allowing them to emit pollutants. Volkswagen initially denied this manipulation, but has recently admitted it.
The recall involves the following list of Volkswagen and Audi diesel vehicles from model years 2009-2015:
- VW Diesel Jetta (Model Years 2009 – 2015)
- VW Diesel Beetle (Model Years 2009 – 2015)
- VW Diesel Passat (Model Years 2009 – 2015)
- VW Diesel Golf (Model Years 2009 – 2015)
- VW Touareg (Model Years 2009 – 2016)
- Audi Diesel A3 (Model Years 2009 – 2015)
- Audi A6 Quattro (Model Years 2014 – 2016)
- Audi A7 Quattro (Model Years 2014 – 2016)
- Audi A8 (Model Years 2014 – 2016)
- Audi A8L (Model Years 2014 – 2016)
- Audi Q5 (Model Years 2014 – 2016)
- Audi Q7 (Model Years 2009 – 2016)
- Porsche Cayenne (Model Years 2013 – 2016)
The software was designed to conceal the cars’ emission of the pollutant nitrogen oxide. According to the EPA, exposure to the pollutants are linked to a range of health problems, including asthma attacks and other respiratory illnesses.
If you own one of the vehicles listed above, contact Bailey Glasser at (877) 852-0342 for a free evaluation of your potential claim.
Bailey Glasser has significant experience in auto defect class action work. In 2009, Bailey Glasser lawyers were appointed to key leadership roles for plaintiffs in multidistrict litigation alleging sudden-acceleration problems with millions of Toyota vehicles, in what came to be one of the largest products liability cases ever filed. The economic-loss claims settled for $1.6 billion.
Be Interested In