Ryan T. Jenny practices primarily in the area of complex employee benefits litigation, representing clients in actions brought under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA). He has litigated a broad range of ERISA individual and class actions at both the trial and appellate levels, with a focus on fiduciary duties and prohibited transactions.
Ryan’s litigation practice includes numerous private company ESOP cases in which he represents workers claiming that fiduciary trustees caused their employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs) to overpay for private company stock. Other representative ERISA cases have focused on claims involving excessive fees, publicly traded company employer stock investment options, medical plan coverage, misrepresentation and nondisclosure, discrimination and unlawful termination intended to interfere with benefits, and the termination of retiree health benefits. Ryan has also represented multiemployer plan trustees in actions arising under the Labor Management Relations Act (LMRA).
For 20 years in the District of Columbia and New York, Ryan has litigated and counseled in the areas of ERISA, the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (COBRA), and other employment statutes and regulations. Ryan maintains a national litigation practice, and recently litigated cases in federal courts in Illinois, Texas, Delaware, Ohio, Mississippi, Virginia, and other states.
Pro Bono Service
For seven years Ryan managed a team that provided pro bono representation to Holocaust survivors claiming benefits under Germany’s Social Security Pension Program and German Ghetto Work Payment Program.
Government Service / Previous Employment
- Law Clerk, American Psychological Association, Legal and Regulatory Affairs Department
J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 1999
B.A., The University of Chicago, 1995
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- Achieved a $30 million trial judgment in Brundle v. Wilmington Trust, a case involving breaches of ERISA duties by an ESOP trustee in a stock purchase transaction; affirmed on appeal by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, establishing new law on ESOPs
- Established important complaint pleading standards in ESOP cases in decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, in Allen v. GreatBanc Trust Co.
- Precedent-setting decision in Crowley v. Corning, one of the foundational decisions in the area of ERISA employer stock litigation
News & Insights
News & Insights
- Bailey Glasser Awarded Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2023 and Achieves Nationwide Rankings in ERISA and Product Liability Litigation06.15.2023
- Bailey Glasser Defeats Motion to Compel Arbitration; Employee Stock Ownership Plan Lawsuit Moves Forward in New York11.09.2021
- Judge Allows Claims Against ESOP Trustee Argent Trust Co. To Go Forward Because Plaintiffs Demonstrated Viable Claims11.04.2020
- Bailey Glasser Receives Final Approval on $19.5 Million Settlement with Wilmington Trust to End ERISA Class Action10.02.2020
- Bailey Glasser Receives Final Approval on $6.25 Million Settlement with Reliance Trust to End ERISA Class Action08.06.2020
- Bailey Glasser Receives Final Approval for $13 Million Settlement to End Bradford Hammacher ESOP Lawsuit06.23.2020
- Bailey Glasser Announces $6.25M Settlement With Reliance Trust Co. To End ERISA Class Action Lawsuit03.18.2020
- Bailey Glasser Wins Class Certification on Behalf of The Bradford Hammacher Group, Inc. Employee Stock Ownership Plan’s Participants02.19.2018