Jeff Baron focuses his practice in commercial litigation involving energy-related matters and business disputes. He has represented individuals and corporations in all stages of the litigation process throughout the country and successfully handled trials, administrative proceedings, arbitrations, and appeals in a variety of areas, including energy and natural resources, construction, real estate, and business litigation.
Jeff also advises clients on transactional and regulatory matters affecting their businesses, including representing clients in the energy, hemp, and cannabis industries. This work includes the acquisition and leasing of real estate, licensing, and compliance issues.
J.D., University of Illinois College of Law, 2002, cum laude
B.A., University of Missouri, 1997, magna cum laude
- US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- US District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- US District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- US District Court, Central District of Illinois
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of Williamson Energy LLC and Colt LLC involving a dispute over 10,000 acres of minerals and related mining rights (Mitchell Roberts Partnership v. Williamson Energy LLC)
- Served as Special Assistant Attorneys General in both Patriot Coal bankruptcy cases, the first in the Southern District of New York and Eastern District of Missouri and the second in the Eastern District of Virginia; also represent the West Virginia State Tax Department against the Patriot trustee’s $5-plus million suit to recover alleged tax refunds due
- Represents Mach Mining LLC in lawsuits filed by over twenty landowners claiming nuisance related to the mine’s operation of ventilation fans (Jackson et al. v. Mach Mining LLC et al.)
- Represents several cannabis and hemp companies in matter involving acquisition and leasing of real estate, licensing, and compliance issues
- Represented Hillsboro Energy and other entities in a bet-the-company litigation involving allegations of breach of a complex sale-leaseback transaction and of veil piercing of multiple layers of a Master Limited Partnership in Illinois (WPP LLC v. Hillsboro Energy LLC et al.)
News & Insights
News & Insights
- Bailey Glasser Obtains Favorable Ruling from Appellate Court on Behalf of Williamson Energy, LLC and Colt, LLC08.26.2020