Christopher D. Smith
- Charleston, WV
- T: 304.345.6555
- F: 304.342.1110
Christopher Smith focuses his practice in the area of complex civil litigation, including appeals, class actions and mass torts, commercial litigation and product liability litigation. In his practice, he has helped clients navigate complex cases ranging from early motions practice to discovery disputes to appellate proceedings. He has handled several cases before the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia including matters related to sensitive election law and complex class action issues.
Prior to practicing law, Christopher served in LifeBridge AmeriCorps, a West Virginia-based branch of the national service organization. During his time with AmeriCorps, he worked on initiatives that provided healthy food for local food banks, created tax assistance programs for low-income families, and increased overall volunteer involvement in West Virginia non-profit organizations. Chris continues his community involvement through work with organizations such as the West Virginia Child Advocacy Network.
Awards & Accolades
Super Lawyers Rising Star, West Virginia, Appellate, 2023
Best Lawyers' Ones to Watch (2023):
- Appellate Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Plaintiffs
- Product Liability Litigation – Plaintiffs
- Law Clerk, Hon. Joseph R. Goodwin, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia (2016-2017)
Government Service / Previous Employment
- AmeriCorps (2012 - 2013)
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law, 2016, Order of the Coif, Order of the Barristers, Mountain Honorary, Winner of the 2015 George C. Baker Cup
B.A., West Virginia University, 2012, summa cum laude, University Honors, Phi Beta Kappa
- West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
Obtained, as co-trial counsel, a verdict on behalf of Ramaco Resources Inc. of approximately $32.7 million against a Chubb-related insurance companies for breach of contract in a denial of insurance coverage case. The trial court subsequently reduced the verdict and the matter was appealed.
- Represented a Justice on the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia in challenging impeachment proceedings by drafting a petition for writ of mandamus challenging those proceedings. After issuance of a writ in the client’s favor, drafted a brief in opposition to a petition for writ of certiorari at the Supreme Court of the United States challenging issuance of the writ.
- Represented a hospital in challenging class certification in a consumer class action by formulating and drafting a petition for writ of prohibition challenging class certification.
- Represented a West Virginia government entity in responding to a gubernatorial candidate’s attempts to place himself on the ballot as a third-party candidate after losing in another party’s primary election, culminating in responding to the candidate’s petition for writ of mandamus before the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia.
News & Insights
News & Insights
- “A Beginner’s Guide to Interlocutory Appeals in West Virginia,” Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia Notebook of Articles, Summer 2019
- “Dios, No Patrias, Libertad: The Dominican Republic’s Unfolding Human Rights Crisis,” Oxford Human Rights Hub, October 2015