Mary Pat Statler represents local small businesses, nonprofit organizations, and international companies in multimillion-dollar business disputes. In addition to her commercial litigation work, MP focuses on employment law. She routinely represents both employers and employees involved in various workplace disputes, including sexual harassment and employment discrimination matters typically resulting in a discharge. MP also has expertise in navigating employment separation pre-suit for employees and employers, including negotiating severance packages, and in drafting and analyzing employee handbooks and other policies and procedures vital to the employment setting.
MP enjoys the daily intellectual challenges of her work and brings to her job the work ethic and relationship-building skills she fine-tuned playing Division I collegiate basketball. Her ability to transition between defense and plaintiff work gives her a deeper understanding of and unique perspective into her litigation practice.
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law, 2010, magna cum laude
M.S., Marshall University, 2006, summa cum laude
B.A., Marshall University, 2005
- West Virginia
- US District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
- US District Court, Northern District of West Virginia
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Successfully tried a sexual orientation discrimination case to verdict against a nonprofit organization; this lawsuit was the first of its kind to be heard before a jury in West Virginia
- Favorably resolved a three-year lawsuit pending in California Superior Court on behalf of an internationally operating IT corporation in a complex business dispute with an international limited liability partnership
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a hospital in a contentious and precedent-setting race discrimination lawsuit
- Helped numerous victims of sexual harassment successfully resolve their employment discrimination lawsuits against their former employers, pre-trial
- Successfully litigated sexual abuse cases against local school boards on behalf of child victims
- Represented a student, pro bono, in a Title IX matter who was wrongfully suspended from a prestigious institution of higher education