Maggie B. Burrus
- Charleston, WV
- T: 304.345.6555
- F: 304.342.1110
Maggie Burrus is a strategic adviser to her clients, guiding companies of all sizes through complex restructurings and chapter 11 bankruptcies. Maggie advises debtors, creditors, investors, and other interested parties in the context of out-of-court and in-court corporate restructurings, liquidations, and distressed financings, acquisitions and receiverships. Maggie represents her clients’ important interests in bankruptcy courts throughout the country, representing a diverse array of clients from asset management and energy trading firms to REITs, state regulatory agencies, and unsecured creditors’ committees. Moreover, Maggie provides strategic counsel to debtors and creditors in a variety of industries including coal, oil & gas, retail, automobile and hospitality sectors.
In addition to her bankruptcy practice, Maggie uses her litigation skills and prowess to prosecute and defend complex civil litigation cases on behalf of her corporate and individual clients in state and federal courts. Maggie’s broad experience in this litigation arena includes complicated products liability, contract disputes, and environmental litigation.
Maggie is deeply committed to her clients' success and is honored that her clients trust her with their high-stakes litigation matters.
Awards & Accolades
Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (2021-2023):
Banking and Finance Law
Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
Super Lawyers, West Virginia, "Rising Star," Bankruptcy: Business (2021-2022)
Best Lawyers, Spring 2021, Women in the Law
- Law Clerk, Hon. Joseph R. Goodwin, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia (2017 - 2018)
J.D., Washington and Lee University School of Law, 2014 / Moot Court Board - Mock Trial Chair; Journal of Energy, Climate and the Environment - Lead Articles Editor
B.A., University of South Carolina, 2011, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
LTL Management LLC: Co-counsel to the Official Committee of Talc Claimants in the chapter 11 case of LTL Management LLC in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey. LTL is a newly created subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson (J&J) to hold all of J&J's tort liabilities arising from its asbestos-contaminated baby powder.
West Virginia State Tax Department: Trial counsel for West Virginia State Tax Department in defending against the Liquidating Trustee’s $5 million refund claims arising out of the Patriot Coal bankruptcy case in the Eastern District of Missouri.
Nine Point Energy Holdings, Inc.: Counsel for Caliber Measurement Services, LLC, Caliber Midstream Fresh Water Partners LLC, and Caliber North Dakota LLC in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
White Stallion Energy, LLC: represents the agent for the term loan lenders, Riverstone Credit Management, in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
- Blackjewel, LLC: Counsel for Riverstone Credit Partners, Blackjewel LLC’s senior secured lender in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- Timberline Four Seasons Resort: Counsel to the Statutory Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 cases of Timberline Four Seasons Resort and its affiliated entities pending before the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Mission Coal Company, Inc.: Counsel for the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection and West Virginia Tax Department in the Chapter 11 cases of Mission Coal Company, LLC and its affiliates in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- Citizens Conservation Corps: Counsel for senior secured lender United Bank in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- Royal Automotive Company: Counsel to Royal Automotive Company and its affiliates in their Chapter 11 cases in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- Represented the West Virginia State Tax Department in ground-breaking litigation to recover sales taxes from two money center banks
News & Insights
News & Insights
- Federal Appeals Court Rejects J&J Texas Two-Step Maneuver In Huge Victory For Plaintiffs Harmed By J&J Baby Powder01.30.2023
- New Bankruptcy Code Section Protects Commercial Landlords and Contract Vendors from Avoidance Actions for Pandemic-Related Deferred Payments of Tenants and Customers02.26.2021
- Bailey Glasser Representing Riverstone Credit Management in White Stallion Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Proceeding02.01.2021
- Bailey Glasser Representing Riverstone Credit Management in White Stallion Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Proceeding12.08.2020
- The Rise of Defaults in the Commercial Real Estate Market: How the Uniform Commercial Real Estate Receivership Act Can Protect and Maximize the Value of Lenders’ Security Interests06.11.2020
- Bankruptcy Courts Splitting on the Small Business Administration’s Authority to Deny PPP Funds to Bankrupt Debtors05.04.2020
Community & Professional
Community and Professional Activities
International Women's Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation
American Bankruptcy Institute
Washington and Lee University School of Law Young Alumni Council