Maggie Burrus is a strategic adviser to her clients, guiding companies of all sizes through complex restructurings and chapter 11 bankruptcies. Maggie advises debtors, creditors, investors, and other interested parties in the context of out-of-court and in-court corporate restructurings, liquidations, and distressed financings, acquisitions and receiverships. Maggie represents her clients’ important interests in bankruptcy courts throughout the country, representing a diverse array of clients from asset management and energy trading firms to REITs, state regulatory agencies, and unsecured creditors’ committees. Moreover, Maggie provides strategic counsel to debtors and creditors in a variety of industries including coal, oil & gas, retail, automobile and hospitality sectors.
In addition to her bankruptcy practice, Maggie uses her litigation skills and prowess to prosecute and defend complex civil litigation cases on behalf of her corporate and individual clients in state and federal courts. Maggie’s broad experience in this litigation arena includes complicated products liability, contract disputes, and environmental litigation.
Maggie is deeply committed to her client’s success and is honored that her clients trust her with their high-stakes litigation matters.
Awards & Accolades
Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (2021) – Banking and Finance Law, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Commercial Litigation, and Litigation-Bankruptcy
- Law Clerk, Hon. Joseph R. Goodwin, US District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia (2017 - 2018)
J.D., Washington and Lee University School of Law, 2014
B.A., University of South Carolina, 2011, magna cum laude
- West Virginia
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US District Court, Northern District of West Virginia
- US District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
White Stallion Energy, LLC: represents the agent for the term loan lenders, Riverstone Credit Management, in the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
- Blackjewel, LLC: Counsel for Riverstone Credit Partners, Blackjewel LLC’s senior secured lender in the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- Timberline Four Seasons Resort: Counsel to the Statutory Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 cases of Timberline Four Seasons Resort and its affiliated entities pending before the US Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Mission Coal Company, Inc.: Counsel for the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection and West Virginia Tax Department in the Chapter 11 cases of Mission Coal Company, LLC and its affiliates in the US Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- Citizens Conservation Corps: Counsel for senior secured lender United Bank in the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- Royal Automotive Company: Counsel to Royal Automotive Company and its affiliates in their Chapter 11 cases in the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- Represented the West Virginia State Tax Department in ground-breaking litigation to recover sales taxes from two money center banks
News & Insights
News & Insights
- New Bankruptcy Code Section Protects Commercial Landlords and Contract Vendors from Avoidance Actions for Pandemic-Related Deferred Payments of Tenants and Customers02.26.2021
- Bailey Glasser Representing Riverstone Credit Management in White Stallion Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Proceeding02.01.2021
- Bailey Glasser Representing Riverstone Credit Management in White Stallion Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Proceeding12.08.2020
- The Rise of Defaults in the Commercial Real Estate Market: How the Uniform Commercial Real Estate Receivership Act Can Protect and Maximize the Value of Lenders’ Security Interests06.11.2020
- Bankruptcy Courts Splitting on the Small Business Administration’s Authority to Deny PPP Funds to Bankrupt Debtors05.04.2020
Community & Professional
Community and Professional Activities
Washington and Lee University School of Law Young Alumni Council