Carlos is an incredible lawyer and fantastic asset to my company. He is the epitome of a team player in that he is respectful, insightful, and works with any group with ease and finesse. The breadth of his legal knowledge has helped us through several aspects of business. This has included both capital raising as well as general operational concerns we have had. Carlos is an integral member of our team and I could not imagine a better individual to perform as well as in these situations. I am confident that with Carlos, our actions are made with comprehensive measure that will propel us into a brighter tomorrow. - Client
Carlos Duque provides strategic and corporate counsel to a variety of high growth companies across a broad array of industries, with a particular focus on gaming, Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS), Esports, tech companies (app developers) and cannabis. His broad range of experience encompasses gaming law, digital payments, corporate M&A, securities and commercial litigation, as well as corporate governance and tax.
As in-house counsel to a multinational corporation doing business in the US and China, Carlos advised the Board of Directors on various issues pertaining to securities law, corporate governance, bankruptcy, and tax. He successfully navigated the company through a securities fraud class action and successful reorganization in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
Fluent in Spanish and Portuguese, Carlos has advised on a variety of international M&A activity in Brazil, Argentina, and Mexico. Most significantly, he represented a U.S. client with a pest control technology that helped fight the Zika virus in Brazil, and personally negotiated a roll out of the product through a franchise operation in São Paolo.
Carlos’ work with DFS clients includes preparation of various legal opinions to payment processors, confirming that gaming clients were acting in conformance with state and federal gambling prohibitions including the Wire Act, IGBA, and UIGEA.
Government Service / Previous Employment
- General Counsel, Worldwide Energy & Manufacturing USA, Inc. (2012 - 2014)
- Spanish, Portuguese
- Lead counsel in international merger between a Swedish natural foods company incorporated in Hong Kong into a Delaware Company
- Structured and executed dozens of seed, A and B Round raises for startup companies in a variety of verticals
- Prepared term sheet and offering memoranda for medical marijuana startup company in Boston, MA; required for-profit and non-profit sister companies operating in tandem in order to comply with changing cannabis regulations in the Commonwealth
- Advised on various fund formation and capital raises for real estate funds in California, Massachusetts, and Florida
- Managed acquisition of Florida based payments company by Delaware Company headquartered in Brazil
- Formed wholly owned subsidiary in Florida for Brazilian company for purposes of rolling out a nationwide franchising operation in the US pest control space
- Negotiated Master Services Agreement and Statement of Work for leading voice of customer SaaS platform to deliver services to a variety of fortune 500 enterprise customers
- Negotiate and prepare term sheets and offering memoranda for numerous startups in biotechnology, fintech, social media, cannabis, and coin issuers companies
- Managed international business transactions in Brazil, Mexico and Argentina
News & Insights
News & Insights
- FaZeClan v. TFue: Greedy Gamer, or Oppressive, Unregulated Talent Agency? Why Professional Esports Players Need an Agent08.19.2020
- Clout Fantasy Launches Esports Player to Player Wagering Application for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and League of Legends07.22.2020