New breeds of businesses deserve a modern breed of attorney. Carlos Duque combines traditional law experience with a passion for cutting-edge industries, including high growth companies such as gaming, Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS), Esports, tech companies (app developers) and cannabis. His broad range of experience encompasses gaming law, digital payments, corporate M&A, real estate, securities and commercial litigation, as well as corporate governance and tax.
Carlos’ background uniquely qualifies him to help clients who come from different industries, cultures, and generations. Fluent in English, Spanish, and Portuguese, Carlos’s international upbringing allows him to understand business and legal goals in a refreshingly holistic fashion. For example, clients in the emerging eSports and DFS markets driven by tech-savvy and globalistic gamers, teams, and worldwide events, require an attorney who understands and respects their global viewpoints and goals in this new and ever-changing digital era. Carlos is exactly that person.
Carlos also optimizes creativity for the benefit of clients. As a mixed martial artist and former professional actor, Carlos thinks tactically and creatively during every step of strategy, delivery, execution, negotiation, and the many roles he is called upon to perform every day on behalf of his clients.
Carlos’s experience includes advising numerous app developers on how to navigate their unique regulatory environments and build products that are both compliant and compelling in the marketplace.
As in-house counsel to a multinational corporation doing business in the US and China, Carlos advised the Board of Directors on various issues pertaining to securities law, corporate governance, bankruptcy, and tax. He successfully guided the company through a securities fraud class action and successful Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization.
Carlos has advised on a variety of international M&A activity in Brazil, Argentina, and Mexico. Most significantly, he represented a US client with a pest control technology that helped fight the Zika virus in Brazil, and personally negotiated a roll out of the product through a franchise operation in São Paolo.
Carlos’ work with DFS clients includes preparation of legal opinions to payment processors confirming that gaming clients operations conform with state and federal gambling prohibitions including the Wire Act, IGBA, and UIGEA.
Client Testimonial: "Carlos is an incredible lawyer and fantastic asset to my company. He is the epitome of a team player in that he is respectful, insightful, and works with any group with ease and finesse. The breadth of his legal knowledge has helped us through several aspects of business. This has included both capital raising as well as general operational concerns we have had. Carlos is an integral member of our team and I could not imagine a better individual to perform as well as in these situations. I am confident that with Carlos, our actions are made with comprehensive measure that will propel us into a brighter tomorrow."
Government Service / Previous Employment
- General Counsel, Worldwide Energy & Manufacturing USA, Inc. (2012 - 2014)
- Spanish, Portuguese
- Lead counsel in international merger between a Swedish natural foods company incorporated in Hong Kong into a Delaware Company
- Structured and executed dozens of seed, A and B Round raises for startup companies in a variety of verticals
- Prepared term sheet and offering memoranda for medical marijuana startup company in Boston, MA; required for-profit and non-profit sister companies operating in tandem in order to comply with changing cannabis regulations in the Commonwealth
- Advised on various fund formation and capital raises for real estate funds in California, Massachusetts, and Florida
- Managed acquisition of Florida based payments company by Delaware Company headquartered in Brazil
- Formed wholly owned subsidiary in Florida for Brazilian company for purposes of rolling out a nationwide franchising operation in the US pest control space
- Negotiated Master Services Agreement and Statement of Work for leading voice of customer SaaS platform to deliver services to a variety of fortune 500 enterprise customers
- Negotiate and prepare term sheets and offering memoranda for numerous startups in biotechnology, fintech, social media, cannabis, and coin issuers companies
- Managed international business transactions in Brazil, Mexico, and Argentina
News & Insights
News & Insights
- FaZeClan v. TFue: Greedy Gamer, or Oppressive, Unregulated Talent Agency? Why Professional Esports Players Need an Agent08.19.2020
- Clout Fantasy Launches Esports Player to Player Wagering Application for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and League of Legends07.22.2020