Ben Hogan is a zealous courtroom advocate for his clients. With a practice generally focused on complex civil litigation, Ben represents clients in nationwide consumer class actions, civil rights, antitrust, Title IX, and products liability litigation. His practice also includes a diverse array of appellate litigation matters.
In addition to serving as lead counsel in numerous appeals in state and federal courts, he often consults on appeals within the firm. He has represented individuals, companies, universities, and state governments in cases valued in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
Most recently, he has represented various state governmental entities, including the Governor of West Virginia, in emerging and groundbreaking litigation arising from challenges to governments’ responses to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Awards & Accolades
Super Lawyers, West Virginia, "Rising Star," Consumer Protection (2020)
- Law Clerk, Honorable Robert B. King, US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit (2017 - 2018)
Government Service / Previous Employment
- Legal Intern, US Centers for Disease Control
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law, 2016, Editor-in-Chief, West Virginia Law Review
M.A., West Virginia University, 2009, magna cum laude
B.A., West Virginia University, 2009, cum laude
- West Virginia
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US District Court, Northern District of West Virginia
- US District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Serves as lead appellate counsel for the Plaintiff in a civil rights case involving a fatal police shooting.
- Served as Special Attorney General for the State of West Virginia in an antitrust lawsuit, which resulted in the largest antitrust settlement in the history of West Virginia.
- Represents nationwide classes of consumers in claims brought under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), including Krakauer v. Dish Network.
- Represented clients on appeal of medical malpractice claims in North Carolina state court.
- Represents a police officer in whistle blower and wrongful termination claims.
- Brought claims on behalf of a class under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
News & Insights
News & Insights
- Women’s Lacrosse Players File Sex Discrimination Class Action Against Fresno State for Eliminating Team and Violating Title IX02.12.2021
- East Carolina University Agrees to Reinstate Women’s Swimming, Diving & Tennis; Develop Gender Equity Plan; and Comply with Title IX01.07.2021
- Justice Prevails for A Fourth Time: Bailey Glasser Secures Another Win for Governor’s Pandemic Response12.03.2020
- WV Attorney General Patrick Morrisey and Governor Jim Justice Announce $101.3M Settlement in Paving Antitrust Case10.30.2020
- Justice Prevails Again: Bailey Glasser Secures Another Dismissal on Behalf of Governor and WV Department of Health and Human Resources10.23.2020
- Justice Prevails: Bailey Glasser Wins One for Governor and WV Department of Health and Human Resources09.25.2020
Community & Professional
Community and Professional Activities
Board of Directors, Friends of the Cheat
Panelist on Judicial Clerkships, Akron University School of Law
Counsel, Smith for West Virginia Governor 2020
West Virginia and American Associations for Justice